Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Elliot Hurley - Week One

Ancient Roman Goddess

I made this deity a goddess of abandoned children. I chose this to be what she's the goddess of because of how many children were left outside as newborns (often girls) to be taken or to die in Ancient Rome. I wanted to create a goddess that would take the children that were never found and raise them as her own (either as mortals or spirits, I'm not sure). This idea may shift as I work on her design

I had no idea what she was going to be the goddess of when I first started looking at references. I ended up finding references for her design beforehand and adjusted her clothes accordingly. An aspect I liked from references I found was smoking, liquidy faces without features. 

I also learned that some children that were abandoned were left with small tokens such as toys or necklaces so they could be recognized by their birth families when they grow up. I want to incorporate that somehow. 

I also want to make her a bit more detailed with fantasy features but still stick pretty close to Roman influence.

Some words I associate her with are: motherly, quiet, smokey, warm, strange, lonely, comforting, hollow, unrecognizable 

Below are my references for her aesthetic/features I'd like to add, outfit reference and studies, and an example of what is sometimes left with the babies. I will be adding more as I go, this is just some general stuff to start.






https://blogs.kent.ac.uk/lucius-romans/2016/06/15/why-were-new-born-children-left-to-die-in-ancient-rome/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maxen Wang - Final Presentation